If you are experiencing jaw pain, you could be suffering from TMJ, or Temporomandibular Joint Disorder. The American Dental Association estimates that ten million Americans are affected by TMJ, formerly known as Costen syndrome.
TMJ is the inflammation of the Temporomandibular joint, which connects the jaw to the skull. The most common causes of TMJ are grinding or clenching your teeth and dislocation of the cushion between the ball and socket in the jaw.
The symptoms of TMJ include:
- Jaw pain or tenderness
- Difficulty chewing
- Jaws “locking” open
- Inability to open the mouth
- Pain in the neck and shoulders
- Clicking or grating sound when opening the mouth
Chiropractic treatment should be considered first when suffering from jaw pain because chiropractors are trained to deal with joint disorders. Chiropractic treatment for TMJ may include some of the following:
- Massage and muscle exercise
- Treatment for stress management
- Electrical stimulation or ultrasound
- A splint for the upper and lower jaw, which helps to reposition the jaw into its normal setting.
Chiropractic care for TMJ will also help you avoid some of the more unpleasant treatments for TMJ, such as:
- General surgery
- Dental surgery, including grinding of the teeth to permanently change the bite
- Replacement of the jaw joints with implants (!!!)
Call Dr. Craig McGiffin, the most trusted chiropractor on the Outer Banks, if you are suffering from jaw pain. Dr. Craig has years of experience and can help you get to the root of your problem and find a solution.